Nov 19, 2011

Snickerdoodles

I have to confess something. Never i my life have I baked cookies until last week. I mean real "american" cookies, like peanut butter and chocolate chip, or oatmeal-raisin... or snickerdoodles. I haven't even tried them. So last week, I tried. I made the (at least in my mind), all-american cookie, the Peanut Butter and Chocolate one...and failed. Miserably. My boyfriend asked me if I have stomach problems and I need activated charcoal That's how badly I burned (part of them). They were way too crunchy, basically totally overcooked. They did taste really good. If you were willing to scrape off a layer of burnt cookie (which I obviously did). I might share the result with you... but at some other point. Because right now, I want to BRAG.

Snickerdoodles, baby, yeah!!!!

Perfect soft and fluffy, yet also chewy and crunchy, spicy snickkerdoodles!

The recipe is adapted from the wonderful Jessica of How Sweet it Is (one of my addictions), and it goes something like this:

The best Snickerdoodles EVER

250 g butter or for the people that live here, Unirea baking margarine (best baking fat in the world), at room temperature, 350 g sugar, 2 eggs, 1 vial of vanilla extract, 800 g flour (cake flour, although I only had about 700 g and added wholewheat to add up), pinch of salt, one pack of baking powder, 2 teaspoons cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon of Chinese 5-spice, 100 g ground walnuts, 1 tablespoon sour cream.
To coat cookies: 100 g sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
Preheat your oven to about 200 degrees. Cream butter or margarine and sugar, add eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour, ground walnuts, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add the sour cream. Refrigerate until cold and firm (took me an hour).
In a bowl combine remaining sugar and cinnamon. Remove dough from fridge and scoop balls with an ice cream scoop. Dip in cinnamon sugar mixture and place on baking sheet, lightly pressing down on the dough to flatten it. Bake for 10-12 minutes (a minute or two more for more crunch, less for chewiness).


Dough scooped out with ice cream scoop, rolled through sugar and cinnamon


After baking

Enjoy your fluffy snickerdoodles!
I got a lot of cookies (about 60). Which I ate. And ate. And then I ate some more shared them with my friends and family :) 

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment